The fort was built in the 9th century, and was renovated in the 14th century by Cheluvarangappa.
Kavaledurga, also called Bhuvanagiri, was a stronghold of the Nayakas of Keladi, who were the feudatories under the Vijayaanagara rulers and later became independent after the fall of the Vijayanagara kingdom.
Venkatappa Nayaka (1582-1629) fortified the place. He Built a palace and made it an Agrahara with a Mahattina Matha. A Sringeri Matha. A treasury, a granary, stables for elephants, horses, ponds. The fort has three lines of walls,
which are constructed of huge granite blocks following the natural contour of the hillock. Each fortification has a gateway flanked by guard-rooms on either side. In between the fortifications there are temples, a ruined palace site and basement of structures. At the summit of the hill almost at the centre overlooking the western sea is a small temple popularly known as Shikhareshvara or Srikanthesvara temple. The Srikanthesvara temple has a Garbhagriha, A Nandi mantapa and an entrance porch commanding a fine view of the setting sun beyond western horizon.